Old June 12th 04, 07:10 AM
Steve Grauman

>the reason the big 3 try "not" to use OHC is because the like low slung
>hoods and this is hard to achieve with a OHC arrangement

Ford has been using an SOHC design on the Mustang version of their 4.6 litre V8
since the mid 1990s, if memory serves me. And they use a 32-valve, DOHC version
in the Cobra and the Mercury Marauder. The Navigator also gets a DOHC, 32 valve
version of the 5.4 litre Triton V8 found in the Expedition.

>the V-60 SHO 2nd
>gen Taurus was very fast, it had faster 30 foot times than a Mustang.

I assume you mean 60-foot times. And I have a feeling that a 5.0 litre Cobra
fro the same era would give the SHO a good run for it's money. I wouldn't call
the car "very fast" but with a 0-60 time around 6.9 seconds it was definitely
quicker than most other cars of it's size, type and price at new. Keep in mind
though that the SHO engine was largely designed by Yamaha, not Ford. And most
of their best turbocharged work has been the result of Cosworth's hand.