Old July 16th 05, 02:48 AM
jim beam

chibitul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got this Civic LX 97 a few weeks ago. I checked the engine
> compression, it is OK, all cylinders 158-161psi.
> I also have a 2001 Civic LX that my wife drives now. Both cars are
> manual transmission.
>
> Here is what I notices:
>
> Acceleration: the 97 accelerates noticeably slower than the 01
>
> Power/torque: When I climb a hill, I have to downshift 97 one more gear
> compared to 01: let's say I use 3rd gear on 01, I have to use 2nd gear
> on 97, to climb the same hill at the same speed.
>
> Ping: I am not sure if that is a pinging sound or not, but I do hear a
> different engine sound every once in a while when I drive the 97. I
> could be wrong here though
>
> Gas mileage: I get 27 mpg city compared to 30-32 on the 01.
>
> So, what can I do? my next step would be to replace the sparkplugs, run
> a fuel injector cleaner (Techron? I heard good things about this stuff)
> and see what happens. Oh, I am also going to replace the air intake
> filter.
>
> Any other things to check?
> Thanks

do you think the fact that the 01's got a 1.7l engine vs. the 97's 1.6l
has got anything to do with it? how about the better control
electronics for the newer [different engine model] affecting the
injection & therefore fuel economy? you also miss little details like
the mileage...

seriously, if you want to make sure the 97's as good as it can be, you
need to go right back to basics. make sure the ignition & injection
systems are good and adjusted right, make sure the valves are adjusted
right, make sure you don't have any binding brakes, use good tires &
inflate them properly... spend time working through all the service
items. take the time to know the vehicle for what it is, not what it isn't.