Old December 31st 04, 01:23 AM
bokuglen

I was able to remove the o-ring without taking out the timing belt &
water pump. I just removed the P/S pump, air box and right fan. Then
I could remove the two inlet flange bolts and pull the flange forward.
The old o-ring was really torn up. I replaced it with an o-ring from
the autoparts store which looked the same. I was sure to lube the ring
with antifreeze first and press the flange back on while watching
alignment.
Started it up and all is ok now.

Thanks.

Eric Baber wrote:
> The same thing happened to me (or rather my mechanic) - he put in a

new
> water pump and it was leaking by the time I got it home. It

transpired that
> the o-ring that came with the pump was just too soft, and that when
> tightening the bolts to put on the pump, the ring just squished and

didn't
> seal properly.
>
> My mechanic took it off again and replaced the o-ring with one of his

own,
> and that solved the problem. Seems this is a design/construction flaw

on the
> rings that come with the pumps.
>
> Eric
>

> "bokuglen" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I recently did a timing belt replacement, and did the water pump at

the
> > same time. Everything worked fine, but after about 10 miles, the

water
> > pump flange o-ring started leaking like crazy.
> >
> > I thought it was on ok when I pushed the flange on, but now I can

see