Old July 21st 05, 09:20 PM
N8N

Comboverfish wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> > Steve wrote:

> > Because they use the high beams and therefore are rude and glaring to
> > other motorists, defeating the idea of a "safety" feature. It's nice
> > to let other traffic know I'm there; it's not so nice to blind them.

> I hear that complaint very infrequently, and I don't really get it.
> High beams in series (DRLs) are a much lower intensity of focused light
> than when run normally at full B+. The biggest reason HB DRLs are not
> a problem is the fact that they are used in DAYLIGHT; there is
> significant sunlight outside as to keep onlookers' eyes adjusted for
> bright light conditions. Ive seen plenty of cars going down the street
> over the years with their highbeams on (for whatever reason) and never
> thought it was annoying -- let alone DRLs.

I'm one of the people that *does* complain about it. Now the Impalas,
I don't notice them that much, but being somewhat glare sensitive, I
can tell you that Saturns are teh suXX0rs especially in twilight
without the headlights on. But even on an overcast day they can be
distracting.

> Our resident lighting expert Dan likes small dedicated amber DRLs
> better than headlights for a variety of reasons, but my gut feeling is
> I like the headlight systems better - just from a driver standpoint. I
> think they are more noticeable and hopefully more safe as a result. I
> have no facts to back that up, however.

They're brighter than they need to be for their intended purpose, for
one thing... if nothing else it's wasteful.

nate