Old July 5th 04, 01:27 PM
Catman

JB wrote:

> I'm going to be using an Alfa75 V6 as a donor for a trike project in the
> very near future and I need some advice as to which is the best V6 used in
> the 75

AFAIK (but as ever I could well be wrong) there was only one version: 12V
in both 2.5 and 3l capacities.

The water pumps show some weakness (apparently) with reports of failures at
20k miles and so forth. Also, the cambelt tensioner will leak oil if not
properly cared for. It's not *hard* to get right, but seems to be done
rarely. There is a conversion available that removes the oil pressure
aspect of the tensioner.

The camshafts are not the toughest either, especially on the exhasut side
where they act through rockers so you may well want to think of changing
them together with belts and waterpump while the engine is out, if you have
a high mileage one.

As with any Alfa, try to find one that has been well cared for. Regular
oil changes help greatly

This should not be an issue, but it's as well to be aware that these
engines do *not* respond well to being turned backwards. The tension comes
off the cam belt, and it will almost certainly jump. Any attempt to start
the engine from there will (AFAIK) result in valve / piston interface. Not
good.

HTH and I'm not too misinformed
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk