Old June 11th 04, 12:18 PM
Simon

"MarkK" > wrote in message >...
> "NC" > wrote in message
> > All,
> > I am looking at buying a used 156 1,8. I am booked to see 2 private cars
> > on Tuesday next week:
> > 1) 1999(v) Veloce, 69000 miles, cambelt done as part of main service at
> > 60000. (£4.5k)
> > 2) 1999(T) Veloce, 50000miles. Owner has done "nothing" to the car
> > outside of things like brake pads and wiper blades. (£4.7k)
> >
> > I am more interested in (2), mainly due to the lesser miles, its much
> > closer, and the wife prefers the colour (I know.. I know..). I am
> > planning on trying to use the Cambelt change as a bargaining tool in
> > (2). So, how much can I expect it to cost, and when should I be getting
> > it done ?

> Hi Neil,
> Our local dealer recommends it's done at 5 years or 60k miles, but 36k is
> safer. Either way (2) needs it doing as others have said. I had mine done a
> month ago at Desira on Woodbridge Rd for £390 for my 2.0TS.
>
> I inspected the old belt afterwards and it was in perfect condition after 5
> years and 30k miles. Better safe than sorry, though.
>
> I'd be wary about buying (2) if what you say is literally correct, i.e he
> hasn't serviced it. If true, find another.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

I completely agree with Mark on this one. If it hasn't got a service
history don't think about it. The damage this guy could have done with
low oil could haunt you. Your AA check is not going to find this
unless he takes the head off... Low oil will also put further wear on
the timing belt (he's lucky it hasn't gone already).
There's plenty about, plus I got a 2.5V6 S2 1998 60,000 FSH for £5K,
so are those a bit overpriced? Maybe not if they give a reasonable
'haggle'.