Old August 18th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rodo

Default 97 Civic EX vibration at 70 mph ?

Hi all,

I had a problem like this a few years ago and I replaced the rotors
(generic) and breakpads (original) and the problem went away. I noticed that
the vibration was showing up again in the last 2 years. I took it to the
dealer and they recommended a break job ($189) and rotor if needed ($60 a
piece). I can do it myself so I did. This time I used everything from
AutoZone. The vibration still there. It starts at about 65mph and it does
not get worst when I brake. It feels on the steering wheel but I noticed
that the passenger sit shakes as well (with no one sitting there)

I noticed the CV Boots were ripped on both sides so I had them fixed at the
dealer yesterday. I was hoping it would take care of the vibration. It
didn't. The guy at the dealer said I needed to use original break pads from
Honda and the rotor needed to be machine even if they were new, on their
"on-wheel" lathe no less because Hondas are very sensitive.

I'd like to know what you guys think. I'm puzzled that the vibration hasn't
change a bit from all the stuff I did. How can the new rotors and pads be
making the same exact vibration is puzzling to me.

I don't care if the guy at the dealer would guarantee getting rid of the
vibration if I let them do the break job but he is not. I had the emission
upgrade done because the engine light went on about a year ago. The engine
light kept on coming on so they told me I needed to adjust the valve timing
($100). When that didn't fix the problem they change the emission computer
(under warranty) and that did get rid of the problem ... but I wonder if I
really needed to do the valve thing. They didn't gave me a refund of course.
I understand that cars are complex machine but I feel the dealer should know
better. I would expect the generic shop down the street to do the "try if it
works approach" but not the dealer.

BTW the car has 85k miles and I'm the original owner. Awesome commuter car
for almost 10 years old. And the overall rating I would give the dealer is
good ... so far. So ....

any clues what could be causing the vibration ?

Thanks