Old May 30th 05, 08:17 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Robert Coffey" > wrote in message
news:XOHme.9705$qJ3.3993@trnddc05...
> they <ford dealer> tuned it up before I bought it, i was checking the
> plugs & air filter & found they were new. i shot some carb cleaner
> through the intake- did not help.

That's what I was thinking... you don't know that the
tuneup hurted, or helped. You didn't get to see the
plugs that came out, or set the gap on the ones that
went in.

> The plug wires look new, but how do you check them with an ohmmeter?

Your Haynes/etc. manual will tell you... basically, they're resistor
wires, made of carbon-impregnated rope covered in silicone rubber.
Ohm from one end to the other.. look for one way out. You'll get
a feel for how many ohms-per-foot by the time you ohm them all.
Let us know if you need lessons on how to use an ohmmeter...
it's pretty easy, and what with cheap DVMs around $30, it's
one tool that's *way* useful you can afford... many, many uses.

> I'll pull the dist cap & look for obvious <crack> , i thought you could
> not set the timing on these.

Yeah, you can still check it, though... and watch for advance, missed
sparks, etc.

> sounds like many possibilities.... after the timing light check i'll
> head to advance & get a Haynes.
>
> Thanks for the help!

You're quite welcome! Don't forget to look for big vacuum leaks...
__
Steve
..