Old September 11th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steve[_16_]

Default Battery drain .24 amps from GEM

My 98 Explorer Limited battery dies if I don't drive it for 7 to 10
days--which is quite often. I've had the charging system and battery checked
at a couple of auto parts stores and they said both are good. We did notice
an amp draw of 2 amps with the vehicle off and a spikes up higher than that.
But when I check the amp draw at home when it hasn't been running it's a
constant .24 amps. So I'm thinking maybe the 2 amps at the store were due to
something still running after driving it. I did start the engine and ran it
for 30 seconds or so and shut it off and it was again at .24 amps.

On second thought we may have had the door open when checking it at the
store and I've noticed when I open the door the amp draw goes up to 4.83
amps. I don't know what the dome lights should draw, but that seems like a
lot me. Maybe not?? There are 4 interior lights plus one under each external
mirror that light up when the door opens.

Anyway, isn't .24 amps still too high with all lights off? I've pulled fuses
to find that removing fuse 25 (Generic Electronic Module, Instrument
Cluster, Securi-Lock) drops the amp draw down to .01 amps. This vehicle has
a Message Center computer which displays mileage, fuel range, distance
traveled, System Check, etc. Don't know if that places much of a current
drain while the engine is off.

Any ideas on what I should do now? Thanks for any help.

Steve