Old March 14th 05, 06:59 AM
Catman

da wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:45:55 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Zathras wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:02:54 GMT, Catman

>>> I know what you're saying but my experience is that you rarely get the
>>> chance in real life to apply *that* experience in an effective way.

> <snip>
>>No offence taken at all. I understand exactly where you're coming from
>>and look at it like this:
>>1) I've learnt that my anticipation of where and when ice forms needs
>>work, and will be monitored
>>2) Had I had more experience I *may* have been able to react quicker, and
>>more appropriately, perhaps reducing the the severity of the ultimate
>>impact.
>>
>>Either way, I can't see it can do any harm. I'm not gonna think I'm Colin
>>McRae all of a sudden
>>

> Jumping into the middle of a two-person discussion is tough, so
> forgive any awkwardness on my part.

It's a public forum, and it's been too damn quiet in here recently. Jump in
wherever you want

<snip>
> The biggest thing I took away from the session was learning where to
> look if I find myself skidding. Learning where to keep your eyes does
> allow you to keep better control of your car. It also teaches you that
> there are steps to take when things take a turn for the worse, and
> knowing those steps -- having them there for quick recall -- helps to
> make sure panic doesn't set in after the initial "oh crap" reaction.

See? I have *no* idea where I should be looking.

> Now I know that my little session hasn't left me the world's most
> brilliant driver. I know that I can still mess up badly. I try not to
> get into dangerous situations in the first place because that is the
> safest route. But, and it's a big but, I do firmly believe that my
> ability to control a car that has lost its grip is better. It's not
> perfect, but it is improved, and as far as I'm concerned, that can't
> be a bad thing.

ding

<snip>

> I firmly believe that all new drivers should be forced to take a
> complete, defensive driving/skid school course. What passes as
> drivers' training around here doesn't even come close to real
> instruction. Actually there is no requirement that a person actually
> takes instruction. As long as a person can pass the written and in car
> tests, they are issued a licence.

Aye. And the standard related to by those tests is, IMO, pitiful.

> One of these days when the time and money permit, I'd love to take
> another, advanced session, and after that there's a stunt school I'd
> love to try. Yes I want to put cars owned by other people into a
> "Rockford spin" as taught by the stunt co-ordinator and instructor
> from The Rockford Files. :-D I certainly don't want to ruin my own
> tires, suspension, engine, bodywork or whatever else could go wrong
> when performing such unnecessary moves. ;-)
>
> I guess to sum up this overly long post, is that if you've got the
> opportunity to take a course at a qualified skid school, it certainly
> won't hurt. It's fun and you might learn something. And even if you
> don't, it's a day/a couple days behind the wheel thrashing a borrowed
> car without having to be stuck in traffic (although an on-road session
> is usually included in a full course).

Yep. Birthday pressie I think
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS (Badly bent) 155 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk