Old December 16th 04, 01:02 AM
Mike64Bug

> If you don't own a thirty year old plus automobile it's sort of hard
> understanding how much a pain in the ass it is to keep it running,
> especially if you're not a rich dude who can plunk down money to get
> an old car restored like it ain't no thing.
>

> Mike:
>
> If that's how you feel man then bully for you. I don't particularly relate
> to the neo hippy thing even though I am old enough to remember the late 60s.
> My own views are probably fairly far to the right of yours. I just don't
> think it really makes a difference. I am not into VWs as a political
> statement. When I go to a VW show I want to talk to people about their VWs
> not about what their political or lifestyle choices or whatever are.
>

> I just find something very reassuring and satisfying about playing with and
> driving them. I am tinkering with my 70 Fastback in the garage tonight. My
> cat comes and checks out what I am doing while I am trying to get under the
> dash. Yes, I could probably find something I could convince myself was more
> important to do, but I find my VW hobby helps give me a little balance to my
> life. (Is that hippy like? I don't know)
>

> My dad got his first VW in the mid 60s when I was a little guy and their has
> been one in our family ever since. I have strayed from time to time with
> other cars but I always come back to AC VWs. I have a seriously rusted out
> KG conv that in spite of protestations from family and friends, I refuse to
> get rid of it. I will get it restored someday, to part with it now would be
> like abandoning the dream.
>

> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>

> Doug

Doug, we must have gone to different schools together years ago.
Same here, I don't look at my vw involvement as anything political or
as some sorta statement. I just like wrenching on them and drivin'
around. My cat doesn't like my bug though, don't think she likes
the fweeming noise. Too cold here for any vw work though at the
moment. Mike C., yeah it might be a pain in the butt to keep 'em
going but the friendly conversations at the gas pump help make it
all worth it. Peace dude.