Old November 20th 04, 04:49 AM
Treeline

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "Treeline" > wrote in message
> > "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> Well, that was somewhat of a joke - you really should call

around.
> If the wrecking yards in your area are full of them then maybe

you
> can get the trans computer for $20.
>
> > And although the fins are flashable, what about
> > cables and connectivity.

> They are all the same, they use the same harness. '89/90 have

to have
> a wire cut with the newer firmware.

Read about that wire #49, so thanks, not my problem.
Have found thanks to Daniel Stern, some yards that have it for
$25 to $35 and may be near me in case I do not use my original
one. Tempted to have the dealer do the flashing and resetting the
computer but found the method in allpar or somewhere else for
resetting the TCM after the upgrade. Maybe the main computer too?

> According to the green "Service/Diagnostic Procedures &

Refinements Manual
> for the
> 41TE/AE Transaxle" by Chrysler, on page 32, 1993-1995 original

trans
> controllers
> were finned with 4 heat sinks and are flashable. To flash they

require
> Miller CH 5500
> flash kit, as well as a DRB tool and a special cable.
>
> It was only the 1989-1992 controllers that were non-finned and
> non-flashable.
>
> Yours is probably flashable. By the way, the fins are along

one edge.

Thanks, found it, see the fins and checked the TSB's and the part
number and it's flashable.

R4686478AA 04686606 93-94 A,C,J,P,S,Y 3.0, 3.3 & 3.8
from the TSB, above is the remanufactured part and software
upgrade from the dealer. I have the "S" Voyager model which
probabl is the "AS" model in 1995 that you recommended for the
TCM.

4686131 was the original part number but I can't read it.
Probably on the metal tag and I don't want to take it off the
firewall just yet.

> http://www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html

Thanks, so a flush using the transmission pump I gather would be
just fine, instead of the power flush.

> > I have been
> > warned by the Chrysler dealer AND Cottman Transmissions not

> > flush this old tranny because the dirt is keeping it

together.

> That is baloney. Read the following:
>
> http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

They probably thought I meant the reverse power flush only. They
could have mentioned the ordinary flush. It's similar to their
fluid change which uses the tranny's pump. I just want the fluid
out of there. Okay the torque converter is sealed but still.

Hmmm, thinking, if I push the OD button and disconnect the
OverDrive, might that help the torque converter by disconnecting
the lockup? Don't know, just a thought. Read one fellow who did
it with soldering and tinkering. In any case, the 37 mph shudder
is not the lockup situation which probably occur at highway
speeds.

> Keep in mind that this transmission uses a fluid filter that

uses a
> felt-like material, not
> a screen like some transmissions do. Chrysler really meant

business when
> they
> designed the filter for this. The fluid must be absolutely

clean. There
> are many small
> passages in the valve body and even small particles are going

to jam it up.

That's very helpful. Dealer said not necessary if 30,000 miles.
But this is a rebuilt and questionable and probably worth the
extra expense.

> The method I documented on the website above gets all of the

fluid.

Even the torque converter too? Sounds like a good method. I have
used that in the past so familiar with the siphoning. Just don't
have the confidence and a garage now with ramps but I am thinking
about it.

> If it was rebuilt then the seals were replaced and are of newer

material.

But it's Cottman, so my confidence is low having seen how they
charged the previous owner at least $2700 and that owner, my
friend, was still most unhappy with the performance of the van.
Rebuilt in 2000 but not leaking, still don't like some of the
feel and subtle sounds of the tranny. So have been babying the
car. There's the slight shudder at 37 mph and at 70 mph, hear a
slight whine. Does not sound quite normal. Now I have had
Chrysler trannies that whined for 130,000 miles. I drove Chrysler
trannies that ran dry, DRY!, put in fluid, and the thing was up
and running so in the past, they built stuff that was tanklike.
Everything else came apart, the body, the electrical system,
everything but loved those slant-6's and their trannies.

> Get the TCM flashed and then change the fluid.
>
> Ted

Thanks for the excellent advice and taking the time to go into
all these details, most kind of you, especially the good advice,
get the TCM done FIRST and see if it affects anything. If not,
then some have gotten a quieter, shudder-free tranny with just a
fluid change. Mine is quiet at the moment with just a touch of
shudder at 37 mph after a tune-up where the distributor wire was
shot and screwing things up electrically all over.