Old February 1st 05, 07:34 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:

>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
>> Because it doesn't work as well as what is used. Hydrogen? Where are
>> you going to store it? How is it going to be produced? Hybrids cost
>> more to build (lots more), get anemic performance, and there's some
>> question in my mind about whether the gain in mileage is actually due
>> to the hybrid technology as opposed to all the OTHER fuel-saving
>> technology put in the car.

> And what would that be? Low rolling resistance tires?

Sure. Also a lower drag coefficient (note it's a half-inch shorter,
among other differences). And simple lack of power -- 93hp compared to
127 hp.

>The Honda Civic
>Hybrid gets about 22 percent better mileage than the regular Civic.

Well, no. It claims 22 percent better mileage according to EPA tests
that happen to overestimate hybrid mileages. Actual difference, based
on your 40mpg figure, is probably more like half that, though it's
hard to tell again because there's no CVT non-hybrid Civic.