Old March 9th 05, 07:35 PM
John Gregory

There seems to be a difference of opinion concerning the transmission fluid
here. The service manual - based upon my driving habits - claims no change
is necessary. The dealer claims - after checking the fluid - no change is
necessary.

I can understand the position one might take if they have changed fluid over
the years with no incidence of trans failure. However, that fact alone -
particularly in view of recommendation from the manufacture NOT to change -
doesn't serve as proof that changing fluid prevents failure. The same
results may have occurred without the changes.

On the other hand, it may be like chicken soup as a remedy for the common;
it can't hurt. That being the case...

Q3) How do I get ALL the fluid out of the system if I drain it myself,
check the magnet, and replace the filter?

Q4) Do I need any "special" tools for any part of the job? (I don't think
I did for the '95 Concorde I had)

Q5) How much would be left in the system if I simply dropped the pan and
drained? (Assuming the pan is the only thing I could drop reasonably)