Old December 18th 04, 05:28 AM
Steve W.

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

> ""Doc"" > wrote in message
> news

> >> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as

> >> ride up the stem of the dipstick.

> > Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark.

GUESTIMATE how
> > far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different

than 2".

> > Doc

> Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the

diagnosis, Doc?

1/2" won't hurt you at all. That equates to about 1/2 quart. I always
put in 5 quarts with filter change in the wifes 4.3. Look at it this
way. The sump holds 3 quarts without touching the crank (the crank is
actually 1" or so in the oil before the pump starts working). Now when
you actually start the engine the oil pump does it's job. On the 4X4
with the small filter the filter holds 1/2 quart, the lines and cooler
hold another 1/2 quart. Now add the oil passages in the engine up and
that takes another 1.5 quarts. What does that leave in the sump? Correct
, 2 quarts. If it takes 3 quarts to get to the crank you still have 1
quart to play with.

Now if you go nuts and dump 6-7 quarts in you will have problems.