Old December 18th 04, 05:32 AM
Scott

""Doc"" > wrote in message

>>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE
>>> how far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different
>>> than 2".
>>>
>>> Doc

>> Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
>> Doc?

> It's fine. Your truck takes about 4.75 qts and they likely just added 5
> qts. 1/2" over "full" ain't going to hurt anything.
>
> Doc

Doc is right. The idea that your crank will have to spin through
the extra 1/2 quart is just wrong. Same for any idea about it causing
foaming and thus bearing failure.

When we used to rebuild engines we put an extra quart in to
be sure the new motor had plenty. A half quart overfill won't
hurt anything.