Old July 13th 05, 01:28 PM
Abeness

jim beam wrote:
> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I decided to do a good deed and change the rusted center pipe on my
>> inlaws 88 Accord. Of course this is turning into a bigger job than
>> expexted. I finally got pipe out but cutting and grinding the bolts
>> that held the pipe to the cat convertor. I thought I could just push
>> the bolts out, but apparently not. Any tips on getting these bolts out?
>> ----------------
>> Alex
>>

> the bolts are captive & come with the pipe. oem pipe anyway. if you
> can seperate the pipe from the converter, you should be in business for
> replacement.

The bolts between converter and center pipe (Pipe B) are actually
separate, and are called "converter bolts". On my 94 Civic these are
specialty bolts (not cheap, same for the 88 Accord) that have a thin,
flat head and "ridged" spine designed to grip in the holes in the
converter and help prevent the bolt from turning as you apply the nut.

I tried to get mine out but found that the rust was more than I could
handle with my equipment. Mechanic charged me $75 to do it. Maybe try
heat and hammering them out with a punch from the Pipe B side? Just be
careful not to pound so hard that you damage either the cat or Pipe A,
both of which cost a lot. Might be better to drill them out.