Old July 8th 05, 02:48 AM
Crabs

Brad wrote:

> I just bought my first Corvette, an '85 and have a question. When I cruise
> along at 65mph or so and let up on the gas it lurches to the right for a
> split second then goes back to normal. Anyone ever heard of this before? I
> didn't get a chance to take the car on the expressway before I purchased it
> so I only found this out when I brought it home. It 'clunks" when I shift
> into drive so I'm pretty sure I'm going to need U joints and figured that
> into my purchase price so I'm hoping maybe this is also causing the jump to
> the right. If anyone can help or recommend a web site with info I'd
> appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brad:
Check the easy things first, tire pressure and loose or missing lug nuts.
Grab the top of a tire and place your foot on the bottom. Then pull back
on the tire as hard as you can. You're checking for looseness in the
spindle/hub. It's easier to do this while the car is jacked up with the
weight off of the tire.
Then look under the hood, check for broken motor or transmission mounts.
Have someone else rev the motor a little while you watch the motor. Have
the driver put the car in gear and with their foot on the brakes, give
the motor a little gas. If it's got a broken motor mount the engine
will want to tip to the passenger side.
If that wasn't it, put the car up on a rack and look into the suspension
components, ball joints, A frame bushings, upper and lower tie rod ends.
Have a close look at the U-joints, typically they won't cause this kind
of problem, but if one of the rear ones is really really bad it might
cause it.
There's serious play somewhere, and until you find it consider it to be
hazardous to your health, especially at speed.

TomC
'90 ZR1