Old February 16th 05, 08:21 PM
Stan Kasperski

www.pistonslap.com for all the sordid details.

>> Including the lawsuits against GM,
>> and the LAME TSB's from GM that state adding 4 quarts of oil ever 700
>> miles is *normal*
>>
>> I'll keep my FORD, thanks anyhow.
>>

> To be fair, Ford had piston-slap and high oil consumption problems on
> the Modular v8 series *years* before GM had it. And for the same
> reasons- too hard to maintain the .002 max clearance tolerances needed
> by hypereutectic pistons in a mass-production environment. Ford is using
> coated pistons now, and have the problem down to the proverbial "dull
> roar" instead of the millions of screaming buyers that it was a few
> years ago.

I have one of the very early modular engines (built 9/'91) in my '92
Grand Marquis. It is, by far, the quietest engine I have ever owned.
When I bought it with 113k miles, it did consume oil, but after
replacing the valve stem seals, it doesn't consume noticeable oil even
now at 213k miles. Dual exhaust, no noise, no vibration, no piston
slap, merely very smooth.
Stan K.