Old February 16th 05, 05:47 PM
Lawrence Glickman

www.pistonslap.com for all the sordid details.

>> Including the lawsuits against GM,
>> and the LAME TSB's from GM that state adding 4 quarts of oil ever 700
>> miles is *normal*
>>
>> I'll keep my FORD, thanks anyhow.
>>

>To be fair, Ford had piston-slap and high oil consumption problems on
>the Modular v8 series *years* before GM had it. And for the same
>reasons- too hard to maintain the .002 max clearance tolerances needed
>by hypereutectic pistons in a mass-production environment. Ford is using
>coated pistons now, and have the problem down to the proverbial "dull
>roar" instead of the millions of screaming buyers that it was a few
>years ago.

I had another Mercury before this, a Tracer, which sounded like a tank
compared to this Mercury Sable. It handled like one also. If there
was a pebble in the road you felt it if you drove over it.

This Ford/Lincoln/Mercury product has a much kinder and gentler ride
to it. I'm not sorry I bought it, =yet=. Doesn't burn any oil at all
as far as I can tell. And is quiet, comfortable to drive.

There are better vehicles around, but I don't have the money for them.
There are plenty of worse ones around also. The difference between
the Sable and the Tracer is with the Sable you arrive at your
destination without feeling banged-up, bruised, and exhausted. And
road noise and engine noise can stress you out on any trip. Maybe
that's why the put the engines in the -back- of busses instead of the
front.

Lg