Old August 29th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.trucks.ford,alt.ford.trucks,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos,rec.autos.tech
SC Tom

Default Ford Fuel Filters / Carb Problem

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I like Ford engineering but they sure dropped the ball on the inline
> fuel filter that takes a 15/16" wrench.
>
> My '77 Ford pickup had a gas leak where the filter meets the carb and
> in tightening the screw-in filter, the connection started spewing gas.
> I had a 15/16" wrench on the filter and though the long handle gave me
> way more leverage than I needed for such a small fitting, I didn't
> think I was putting too much torque on the wrench because it was
> turning very easily as though the filter were loose.
>
> So... Does anyone know of any good "Indian tricks" to resolve such an
> issue? I'm not sure yet if I split something on the carb or stripped
> the threads but clearly, somethings going on there that's fairly
> serious.
>
> Has anyone had any success with pipe joint compounds or teflon tape on
> these threads? Since it's a fuel system, I had assumed the gas might
> eat right through the teflon tape.
>
> Any help that might help me avoid replacing the carb is GREATLY
> appreciated.
>
> John

First off, pull the filter and see what the damage is- split housing or
stripped threads. If the threads are stripped, you can get away with
drilling it out (carefully), tapping it, and using a brass nipple, a piece
of gas line, and an after-market in-line filter. Or check into using a
helicoil in you can find one that size- I don't know if they're made for
that kind of application or not.
You can use Teflon tape- gas won't bother it at all. If you're REALLY lucky,
you only stripped the filter.

Good luck!

SC Tom