Old July 23rd 05, 04:22 AM
StingRay

> wrote in message
>
> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> Very few DRL
>> implementations light up the sides or rear of the car, and the ones
>> using high beams are painfully glaring under any conditions that would
>> warrant regular headlight use. The world would be a better place if
>> auto mfgrs. just built cars, and stopped trying to save us from
>> ourselves.

> Agree on the DRLs that leave the sides and rear unlighted. Headlight DRLs
> are okay if they default to low beam. My wife's car does that and lights
> up
> the rear, etc.
>
> My poor old Dodge Van is totally manual mht lighting. And as much as I
> bitch about people driving in the rain with no lights, I have occasionally
> caught myself without my lights on. Seldom, but it has happened. Doesn't
> make
> it any less dangerous.

I think that has happened to most everyone, although I doubt that many will
admit it.

> I would convert my to full time automatic lighting if I could find a kit
> do it
> in such a way as to avoid the problems you mention. I suppose I could rig
> a simple relay to bypass the headlight switch to low beams every time the
> key is in Run position.

Or you could simply get into the habit of turning on your headlights on low
beam every time you drive the car. The headlight switch over-rides the
DRL's. I do it automatically now. And you get a sound alarm if you forget to
shut them off once the engine is shut down.