Old July 21st 04, 05:27 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On 21 Jul 2004 15:50:19 GMT, (Ppelectron) wrote:

>>He complained bitterly to the Plod who turned up, but they said he
>>should have been going faster and not to get in the way of trucks in
>>the future. Good advice I thought. 1 written off Pugrat (probably a
>>bit smelly after that evening's 'entertainment'). I found a couple of
>>scratches on the Merc's bumper.
>>

>It makes me laugh that the police said he should have been going faster. With a
>70MPH motorway limit, hidden speed cameras and mobile units on bridges, is it
>any wonder that people drive badly? The days of being able to overtake safely
>by temporarily increasing speed to over 80 in order to pass lorries have long
>gone.

The trucks are only doing a maximum of 56mph.
Travelling at 66 mph will put you past a truck in 3.5 seconds. I am
constantly amazed at the amount of car drivers who want to mix it with
the trucks on motorways by driving between 50 and 60 mph. It is a very
dangerous thing to do.

As for the ones who cant even manage to keep a constant speed at 55,
well, they almost deserve to get driven over.

Many people drive badly because they are not continually tested.
Many people drive badly because their cousin took the test for them.

Most of the _really_ stupid things I see happening on the roads every
day are due to car drivers of non-european extraction. For example,
last Thursday a people carrier full of women on the way to the Mosque
or a similar place was reversing up the A14 because they missed the
split for Cambridge and were heading for the M11. Despite a cacophony
of horns from other drivers, they carried on.
BMWs being driven with dangerous abandon by young black males, large
Mercs driven by beturbaned gents completely ignoring all road signs
and signals. etc.
Then there are the Eastern Europeans, a lot of whom work on East
Angian farms and packing plants who have cars but no licences or
insurance who tear about the fens.

I'm not saying that the indigenous population are much better, they
are not, it's just that the _really_ stupid things I see are usually
done by the 'other lot'.
The old cry used to be 'bloody woman driver', but that seems to be
changing.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997