Old July 13th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Default MY TUMBLER DOESN'T WORK, HOW TO CHANGE IT--1991 CIVIC SI

"Elizherrera" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> I'm sorry I dont know all the precise terms I'm not a mechanic, I'm a
> nurse. It is the cylinder that I tried to rip out to get the steering
> wheel to unlock. I've seen my brother remove the part from the houseing
> and it looked easy but for some reason I couldn't get it. Out of
> frustration I just got a hammer and ripped it up until it uplocked. I
> needed to be able to drive the car to work. I'm just trying to figure
> out how to replace the piece that the key goes in a turn and how. Thank
> you for the response

Let me be a bit more precise in simple terms.

When you insert the key into the lock, you are actually inserting it into
the "lock cylinder", or "tumbler" if you will.

When you TURN the key, you are rotating the entire "tumbler" inside its
"lock housing", which remains stationary and is fixed to the structure
behind the steering wheel.

At the back of the "lock housing" (other end from the key slot) is the
"ignition switch", which has an electrical plug stuck in it.

Now. In order for me to make any sense of what you're saying, I need you to
repost your question, referring to the parts on your car by the terms I
give above. This way, we are talking the same language.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/