Old September 15th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default What tools do I need?

Troy wrote:
> I have recently put on an adjustable rear track bar on my 4" lifted
> TJ, and had to take off my upper rear adjustable control arms to get
> some other stuff adjusted. When they were off a friend who was
> watching/helping screwed them all the way down so now I'm having to
> find the sweet spot all over again for my pinion angle.
>
> The problem is, I just can't seem to find it anymore. I eyeballed it
> last time and there was a slight shake at 65mph, but now I just can't
> find where they need to be. So I'm gonna get the angle tools to do
> it, but I'm not sure which kind I need. An angle finder of some sort
> I'm sure, but if anyone out there can tell me what to go buy so I can
> measure my angles and get everything done perfectly I would be happy!
> I'm tired of crawling under, adjusting, crawling up, opening the gate
> to the yard, test driving, opening the gate again, crawling under,
> etc etc etc.

Simple angle finder with a magnetic base and a tape measure.
http://www.vincihiperformance.com/vi...LE%20METER.jpg

The trick is to get both upper links exactly the same length and keep the proper
shaft angle while keeping the rear axle parallel to the front. You should be
able to get close enough by measuring the links from center bolt to center bolt.

--
DougW