Old August 22nd 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Dave[_5_]

Default More on: Air conditioner problem

Jim Warman wrote:

> First thing ro do is realize that you cannot diagnose AC concerns from only
> low side pressures.... Your low side pressures aren't doing anything
> abnormal. What is abnormal is the rapid clutch cycling times.... and the
> most common (but not the only) cause of rapid cycling is a low refrigerant
> charge...
>
> The correct way to proceed from a proper diagnosis of a low charge (using
> both high and low side gauges), would be to fecover the refrigerant and pull
> a deep vacuum on the system. Once vacuum reaches ~27 inches, the pump is
> turned off and the valves closed and we observe the gauges... If and how
> fast the vacuum drops will have a bearing on our repair strategy.
>
> Venting refrigerant of any sort to atmosphere is illegal in my province -
> something I agree with and will support to my last breath (think about
> it....). Topping off with cans from Partz R Us has the possibility of
> causing system damage (especially in the case of a misdiagnosis) or
> contributing to pollution.
>
> While I applaud and even help DIYers with auto repairs (and saving money),
> some auto repair efforts are inappropriate for those without specialized
> knowledge and equipment.

Jim, thanks and I wholeheartedly agree!
I took it in this morning and, after professional troubleshooting, the
problem was determined to be minor..... A minor hole in the evaporator.
New evaporator, dryer etc. and I will be able to pick it up this evening!

Dave

--
Diving is life! The rest is just details.
W.W.W.I.