Old April 24th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default grumpf! how to reach *that* engine bolt

Kuebel Guy wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Little out of ideas trying to reach the upper left (driver's side)
> engine-transaxle bolt.
>
> Its that type without NUT (crankcase has a fixed round bolt). So its
> meant to be reached from down under...but gosh...the bolt is so close
> to the clutch lever...and there is the heat exchanger in
> between...can't put any of my ratchets there...
>
> you think that the heat exchanger can be removed? looks like dificult
> to me...boh
>
> somebody can enlighten me?
>
> cheers

It helps if you jack up that side and remove the rear wheel. Then you can loosen
the 17mm bolt while kneeling outside the fender. Otherwise you have to lie on
your back underneath the car and reach up.

Some sockets don't allow enough clearance between the bolt and the tranny
case. Every time I install a different tranny I grind off material on the case
where it surrounds the bolt.

Randall