Old April 4th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default A New Entry for the Sloth Glossary: The -5 Sloth

Old Wolf wrote:
> Jim Yanik wrote:

>>How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?

> There's a couple of assumptions:
> 1) The driver uses the speedo to adjust his speed
> 2) Driving slower means you will have fewer crashes,
>
> If you take those as given, then the high speedo (eg. speedo
> that says you are doing 75 when you are doing 65) will result
> in having fewer crashes than other cars that are actually going 75.
>
> (NB. I'm not commenting on the validity of those assumptions,
> I'm just saying that that is why some manufacturers set their
> speedos high).

I think more likely is they don't want to get sued for someone getting a
speeding ticket when they set their cruise control to exactly the limit
(indicated.) Or worse yet, being sued as a result of a driver crashing
(having set the CC to the indicated SL) and subsequently having been
shown to have been speeding.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.