Old July 22nd 05, 04:58 PM
Ed White

Do you think having one glass of wine is enough to impair your driving?
And do you think that any driver that has had three beers, is a worse
driver that every other driver on the road?

I think drunk driving laws (in Sweden and the US) as currently
implemented are extremely arbitrary.

It is not just drivers that have had three beers that have poor
reflexes. And it is not just drivers that have had three beers that
make bad decisions. However, drivers that have had three beers that can
be pulled out of a car at a random road block and thrown in jail, even
if they were driving in a safe manner.

I am not advocating drunk driving. However, I do think the
anti-drinking lobby has pushed the rules further than reasonable if the
goal is traffic safety.

No politician that wants to get re-elected is going to come out for
relaxing drinking while driving rules no matter what the facts.

Ed