Old June 2nd 05, 04:32 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 wrote:

> Aside from the PCV holes, the only other hole is the oil fill in the
> passenger side. The cap, which sure looks like OEM, is the screw-in,
> NON-breather type - in fact, it has the rubber gasket to seal it to the
> cover.

Because in most post-'66 applications, the one grommet contains a PCV
valve and the other contains an elbow connected to a hose connected to
crankcase inlet air filter installed in the air cleaner assembly with the
hose fitting protruding outward through the air cleaner's sidewall.

> Although...it sometimes dies on cold start and it idles a little high -
> maybe to compensate for lean mixture? And, I've had trouble with oil
> leaks - maybe vacuum breaking the gasket seal?

Could well be...note that if your engine's whipped, even two PCV valves
won't keep up with the blowby volume and the crankcase pressure will force
the gaskets *out*.

> I was looking for a plug in the auto parts stores but I just remembered
> the local hardware store has some polyethelene button plugs that might
> work.

Or see my previous post,
www.caplugs.com .

> Sounds like I also may be looking for a breather cap for the oil fill.

Yep. They're available with a self-contained filter mesh and external
breathing, with the same twist-in base as your present flat cap. Don't
have my Stant catalogue in front of me or I'd give you a number.

DS