Old March 4th 05, 04:45 PM
John Wallace

Byron Forbes wrote:
> "John Wallace" > wrote in message

>>However my main issue is more the presumption that I have wooden leg,
>>parrot and eyepatch, therefore walloping unwanted software onto my PC with
>>gay abandon. Not happy about that!

> How can you have copy protection without presumtion of guilt? That's
> like saying you resent the next door neighbours locking their house because
> it implies YOU might steal from them otherwise - they are simply trying to
> lock EVERYONE out!

The presumption of guilt is exactly my point, allied to the fact the
impact is felt predominantly by those innocent of piracy "thoughtcrime".

In the case of the neighbour's house, your analogy would need to include
that the vast majority of burglars already had a key, and the act of
locking the door would be no impediment to them at all (i.e. the act of
locking the door would almost exclusively impact those who had no
intention to steal.

So if not a straw man, then it's just an inappropriate analogy.

John