Old February 23rd 05, 10:26 PM
John Wallace

Steve Simpson wrote:

> I've read that the reason they're pushing for it is because we're going to
> be getting a DMCA - basically the same as the USA. I really can't
> understand why RIAA, ARIA etc have such influence on governments - it's not
> like the DMCA is going to be a vote catcher.

There's essentially no choice - content wants to be free. Consumers want
hardware that communicates, and does so easily. Consumers wil buy
hardware for this functionality, and for the content.

When you have high capacity devices, communicating easily, it's not a
case of if the business model of media distribution companies will fall
apart, it's only about when it will be complete.

China makes the hardware, China gives no crap about protection (look at
DVD region coding disappear once the Chinese companies realised people
would pay for machines that ignored it).