Old December 18th 04, 01:37 AM
Matt Ion

Dinsdale wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2004 19:46:41 GMT, (BeverlyOmasta)
> wrote:
>

>>>Remember the bit where I said he removed all the belts and the noise
>>>persists?

>>Try removing the compressor or getting a new one... Just remove it and see what
>>happens...Sorry i said belts, i must of been thinking about belts since it was
>>in your post..UGH

> Well...an A/C compressor making noise without a belt seems like a
> stretch...so here's a few more...

That's what I thought

> Is it a manual transmission? If so, maybe the throw-out bearing is
> howling....although it would probably be different during shifts...
> (expert advice needed here)

I suspected a bearing might be a possibility, although exactly which
one(s) would only squeal under load/acceleration has me stumped. Didn't
think of the throwout - don't know offhand if it's standard or auto,
but I'll pass that on.

> I guess another source could be an air intake issue...a leak whistling
> under acceleration....and on that note, maybe a vacuum leak.
> (oye..the limbs are getting thin out here!)

Ah, good idea... my Honda Accord had this problem now and then (blasted
'87, last year they made'em with a carb, and about 5,000 different
vaccuum hoses meant it was easy to overlook a loose one

> I'd even go out on a further limb and look for anything that may be
> scraping the balancer...like the timing pointer. (but that would
> probably not happen just under acceleration)

Hmm, true, but maybe that's a pointer (yok yok) in the right
direction... if something on the body/frame is contacting something
moving on the engine when the engine mounts flex under acceleration.
Could also be enhanced if engine mounts are weak. I'll pass that on as
well, thanks.

> If it's a 4 cyl, it could be the timing belt...it could be rubbing on
> the housing or the belt tensioner bearing is going bad.

I don't remember if it's a 6 or an 8; I know it's not a 4. We thought
of a timing belt right off, but it's a chain-drive, and a rubbing chain
makes a very different noise

Thanks again for the suggestions!