Old July 22nd 05, 07:45 PM
Jan Andersson

Buick8 wrote:

> Hi, this is about the same type of foam as available in
> building-supply stores for insulation/filling cracks. You spray it in
> and it expands and sets up; that is the way it was put there
> originally.It was sound deadening, and to help keep engine noise from
> entering the passenger compartment through the hollow space in the
> rear body pillars.
> I dug mine out; you can probably melt it out with a strong solvent
> like lacquer thinner. I would put it back after repairs are made;
> just paint the area first if you fear rust.

it also collects moisture like crazy and promotes rusting.
In the earlier models (ovals etc. ) it wasn't spray foam, it was
something that was wrapped in a cloth bag.

IF you insist on using the spray foam, make sure it's "closed cell" type
if it's available. "open cell" means it will suck in water.

Jan