Old October 30th 04, 02:58 AM
k_teppo

(Alan Russell) wrote in message . com>...
> So far I am convinced that Honda builds crap.
>
> The car has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and such about 5k ago.
>
> According to the ignition tests I've done, I do not seem to get a
> spark signal from the ECU. I guess it could be the crank angle sensor
> not telling the ECU to send a spark, or the ECU is crap. Maybe it is
> a rely, but my sevice book doesn't seem to delve into them very well.
>
> I hate this damn car. I married into it. Her next car will be a
> Mazda!

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles with the car.

I agree with the response dold gave about the ignition switch. I have
heard (only rumor, I suppose) that if you have quite a bit of weight
to your keyring (ie lots of keys) it can cause premature failure of
the ignition switch.

The ignition switch failed on my '89 civic and the following procedure
is a quick way to test the switch: Next time you try to start it, as
the key is springing back from the start position to the 'II'
position, rotate it slightly toward the 'I' position or hold it
slightly to the 'III' position. The idea is to keep the switch
contacts slightly away from their usual resting place in the 'II'
position (but still making connection). If the car starts properly,
but dies or sputters when the key goes back to 'II', you've figured
out your problem.

It was also mentioned previously that the voltage to the primary side
of the coil should be monitored throughout the starting process.

GOOD LUCK!!

-k