Old September 16th 04, 06:01 PM
eko

"David" > wrote in message
> Warm up the engine until the whistling starts then run some simple
> diagnostics.
>
> 1. Does it stop if you park the car or does it continue if you idle. Rev
> the engine if it doesn't happen when you are idling.
>
> If only occurs when moving, then it is either air, or transmission drive
> line.
> does it only occur if you turn the steering wheel? Then Steering pump or
> belt
> Does turning on the air conditioner provoke it.
>
> If it occurs with the car idling then try to find where it comes from by
> looking under the hood/
>
> Have you checked your fluids, eg power steering fluid?
>
> Vacuum leak?
>
> Once again, if all else fails, teach it the words.

Thanks David. It doesn't occur when in motion, only when stopped. It does
persist when leaving the engine idle for a while (15 minutes), but each time
a rev is added, it goes until the revs drop to idle again, at around 750 rpm
or so.

Also happens regardless of whether the steering is moving or not. Power
steering fluid is okay, will check for leaks and other stuff too though. I
get the feeling that it might indeed be a belt as Steve suggested earlier,
as when I shut down the engine, the whistling "tone" dies with the engine,
as if it was caused by something rotating (sorry, not a great description, I
know..). Will probably drop it down to the Audi guys to check it out.

If I'd known what song it was whistling I'd teach it the words too..

Cheers.

...Ray