Old August 16th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected]

Default 427 runnin trouble

If the alternator works, you should be able to start the car,
disconnect one of the battery cables, and the engine will continue to
run. If the engine dies when you pull off the battery cable, then you
know that the alternator is defective. Don't reconnect the battery
cable when the engine is running. Just turn it off and then
re-connect.

Also, if you have a meter, you should see at least 14 volts at the
battery when the engine is running & the cables are connected to the
battery.