Old August 14th 06, 11:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Default 427 runnin trouble

Joe wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I just recently bought a 1968 Corvette with the 427,4spd,MSD
> ignition. Once I charge the battery the car will start fine and it
> will idle but once you put a load on it (tap the brakes, turn on the
> turn signal the car will die. No matter what I am revving the car at.
> I am new to the Corvettes. I'm normally a Ford man but I got a hell of
> a steal on this car. The previous owner replaced the battery,ground
> wire for the battery,voltage regulator and the alternator. Any help is
> greatly appreciated.

Time to take a couple of voltage measurements. Hot side of the MSD
ignition with the turn sigs running. Any variation over 0.5 volts is a
clue. Measure from the "cold side" of the MSD system back to the
negative battery terminal -- zero volts (if not there's a grounding
problem).

If there's a hot-side problem look for an error in wiring to the MSD --
someone leave a ballast resistor in the circuit? (That would explain
the easy start). Face facts-- a 35 year-old ignition switch might not
be in the best of shape. If that proves to be the weak link, consider
installing a relay to control full battery voltage from a fusable link
at the pos battery terminal to the MSD. Old ignition switch can hack
the relay with no sweat.

Finding an old ballast resistor can be a problem--rather than using a
firewall mounted resistor like Chrysler and Ford did, the early Chevy
ballasts looked like fusable links.

Best of luck.

--
PJ