Old August 6th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default 96 cherokee coolant leak

gcdenis wrote:
> Hey DougW
> I got under my jeep this morning to see if i could find where it was
> leaking from. i opened the radiator cap and there was coolant there.
> there are 2 spots on the ground right below the radiator. the biggest
> spot near the trans. seems to have "rode a rail" from the front and
> dripped back there. even though i've seen the 2 spots under the
> radiator, i can't find where it is coming from. any suggestions from
> these findings?

Sure it's your Jeep that left the antifreeze?

Take some paper towel and wipe dry the area around
the radiator cap, upper and lower hoses (where they attach),
the bottom face of the water pump housing (behind the fan),
and the overflow bottle.

Check the upper coolant overflow hose for cracks and
the overflow bottle to make sure it's at the full mark.

Thing about coolant is it's very hard to determine where
it came from until there is a lot of it. A tiny pinhole
can spray coolant across the engine compartment or a worn
pump bushing can cause leaks from the weep hole that's
under the pumps driveshaft.

Your going to have to run the engine and feel around for
leaks just watch the fan (bit myself too many times). You
might not get a leak till the system is hot and pressurized
so if there are no leaks just idling, take the jeep for a
short 4 mile run and then check again.

When the system is hot and under pressure, take a close look
at all the hoses where they attach. You looking for swelling/
balooning and soft spots. Fairly easy to see, it looks like
one of those clown baloons partially filled. I had the return
hose to my heater core do that and it could only be seen with
the engine hot.

--
DougW