Old July 27th 05, 03:51 PM
Comboverfish

jim beam wrote:

> well, honda power steering fluid is
> /not/ compatible with other power
> steering fluids - it wrecks seals.

That's true.

> i don't know for sure what the
> situation is, but if it were a
> silicone oil rather than a mineral oil,

It is a mineral oil based fluid. Most likely the different additive
package is what causes seal incompatibility when non Honda fluid is
used.

> that could easily account for the manufacturer spec for silicone grease
> and would /definitely/ rule out compatibility with vaseline.

I think this whole silicone grease conversation was in reference to the
rack boots. Probably something to help keep the rubber soft over the
years, or possibly to assist in installing the new boots onto the rack
housing -- or to allow them to spin freely vs. twist during toe
adjustment. I couldn't make out exactly what the OP was refering to, I
was just offering a suggestion to keep the very fragile end seals from
getting nicked during installation.

Toyota MDT in MO