Old June 17th 05, 09:28 PM
Paul Hovnanian

Comboverfish wrote:

> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
> > They do, they just *also* use this dumbassed always-live hydraulic switch.

> OK, 'cause I've never seen a Ford without a brake pedal mounted switch.
> There has to be a reason (regardless of merit) that the bean-counting
> cheapskates at Ford would authorize a redundant switch. It may have
> been to *ironically* appeal to the safety crowd, or perhaps there is
> some goverment incentive for added safety features.

Probably because the (Ford quality) pedal activated switch had too high
a failure rate.

Picture the typical driver applying the brakes to slow down and then
having the vehicle accelerate when they let up on the pedal.

Wasn't it Ford (Crown Victoria) that had the single contact brake pedal
switch operating both the brake lights and the transmission shift
interlock? This resulted in some police cars with their brake lights
wired to flash being accidentally knocked into gear when the flasher
signal fooled the interlock into thinking that the brake was depressed.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had