Old December 19th 04, 04:06 PM
Hemlock Soames

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:32:23 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>The worst way to try and guage gas mileage is miles/tank. The only sure way
>is to compute miles travelled for gallons pumped...
>http://www.dkcpa.com/calc/java_mpg.html looks pretty good though I haven't
>used it. I can assure you that if fuel consumption were an issue, I would
>NOT have a driveway full of 4X4s.

I have a 98 Sport with the 4 liter OHV V-6. I drive 21 miles to
work each day and 90% of this is on an Interstate highway. I average
19 miles per gallon, carefully measured. Sometimes a tad more or
less, depending largely on how much driving around town I do on the
weekend - usually not much.

I drive 60-65 on the Interstate to keep up with traffic. Recently I
decided to drive for a week while taking pains to conserve fuel by
limiting acceleration and braking and keeping to a 55 mph limit. I
was able to closely follow this regimen.

I picked up about 1 mile per gallon. One of these days I plan to
try the experiment again with a speed limit of 60 and see if that
improves matters. As it stands it appears that the attempt to improve
mileage by varying the driving style produces only a minor
improvement. Disappointing.

Soames

"Never mind world peace, visualize using your turn signal"