Old February 1st 05, 01:51 AM
ChrisCoaster

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2005 12:11:16 -0800, "ChrisCoaster" >
> wrote:
>
> >> If everyone on the road were in a hurry, or at least
> >> had the sense to drive as if they were even when they're not,

traffic
> >> would move fast and there wouldn't be a problem. What creates

conflict
> >> and problems is the people whose attitude is "relax, I'm not in a

hurry
> >> and you shouldn't be either". They waste everybody's time and so

have
> >> no right to be there.

> >_____________
> >Answer this, Einie - What are we in such a hurry for any how?

> Life is short, and you only get one go-'round. The last thing I want
> is to waste time stuck behind the likes of you, as those minutes you
> steal from my life can never be replaced.

_____________________
Ayyee!! Between JDG's pride and your paranoia I'm beginning to feel
like McMurphy in Nurse Ratched's mental ward!

Is life necessarily always about "bigger", "faster"? I thought, for
lack of a better example, that Sept. 11 would have shaken America such
that this country would learn its true place in this world - no higher
and no lower, no better or worse off. I guess not, because I can see
we're back to the same old crap, including our driving habits.

In fact, I conducted an experiment: I left for my present job, 12
miles on the odometer, 10 minutes before start time. The commute is a
combination of local roads and highway. I sped between lights, almost
running a few reds, and slammed the brakes to make the reds. On the
highway, I went 70-80 mph to get to work on time, and needed to weave
between cars to get there. On the multilane boulevard leading to my
workplace, I had to weave around cars to get to it. I parked and shut
off the ignition 2 minutes after the time I am usually at my desk. My
productivity that day: ZERO! I didn't get nearly as much accomplished
as I could, I was jittery, and made many mistakes.

The next day, I left my usual half-hour early. I maintained a steady
speed a mile or two above the limit, and actually stood at only 1 or
two red lights, the rest I coasted up to and turned green. On the
highway, I set the cruise for 65 in a 55; a few drivers still went
around me, but a lot remained the same distance in front or in back.
Lane changes/weaves: 0.
I parked 10 min early, relaxed for 5 min. with Imus or Stern(yes I'm
multiple-personality!), then went upstairs to the office, sat down,
logged in and put in a very productive day's work. No jitters, all was
calm and smooth.

And don't tell me I don't know how to drive fast either - I hear enough
**** from Rumsfeld on the news I don't need to hear it from you people!
-CC