Old July 18th 05, 12:14 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Mike G > wrote:
> With every car I've had with R&P, a small amount of movement could be
> made on the s/wheel without visibly moving the wheels. All the rack
> parts have clearance, and there's a certain amount of spring in the
> column. It all adds up.

You may well be able to move the wheel slightly with no apparent movement
of the wheels, but free play means free movement followed by a definite
and 'hard' change in resistance. If it's 'springy' movement then that's
ok, as this may be a function of the power steering sensing. But without
that, on say a non power rack, there should be no play to be felt
whatsoever.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.