Old July 16th 05, 09:28 PM

Speedy Jim wrote:
> halcyonic88 wrote:
>
> > I'm having some problems on a 74 Super that we purchased a few months
> > back. The brake pedal drops down quite far before any braking action
> > happens. So far I've adjusted the brakes, and bled the brakes. This
> > seemed to help a little bit, but still having the problem. Also when I
> > tried bleeding the left front, I couldn't get any brake fluid to come
> > out, even though the reservoir was full. Any suggestions? I'm thinking
> > I have to replace the master cylinder and probably the hoses as well.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -John
> >

> You may be right. After 30 yrs, the rubber hoses swell up
> inside and block fluid.
>
> The shoes may be worn to the limit as well. And...are the
> wheel cyls 30 yrs old as well??
>
> The M/C is a b***h to replace without pulling the gas tank
> but it can be done with the left frt wheel off.
>
> Carefully inspect *all* the steel lines as well, especially
> the rear line where it runs underneath the pedal cluster.
> These often rust out in that spot.
>
> See Rob and Dave's pages for the Brake repair section:
> http://www.vw-resource.com/table.html
>
> You'll want to have a good shop manual (if you don't have one already).
>
> --
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

What he said!

But really. Try hoses if you know you have good wheel cylinders and
brake shoes. Ther aren't that hard to change and usually solve the
problem. If I remember right, you can get a whole set from
Aircooled.net for about $25 plus shipping. Go to the master cylinder
last because it's such a pain to do.

Peace,
<><
TC