Old July 31st 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Default wobbling in steering...

Al Bundy wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> I was driving home from work last night and there was a feeling that
>>> something might be a little loose - nothing too serious, until I was
>>> almost home.
>>> Going about 30-35 mph there was a definitey wobble in the steering -
>>> the wheel went left and right in quite a pronounced fashion.. any
>>> ideas?
>>>

>> Perhaps a tire problem. Something like one that is going flat or is real low
>> on air pressure. Maybe even a tire with a broken belt (they can make quite a
>> wobble in the steering). You should also make sure all the wheel lugs are on
>> tight. Of course, there are many other possible causes for the symptom you
>> described, but this will give you a logical starting point. Check the tires,
>> maybe even rotate them and let us know what you find.
>>
>> --
>> Disclaimer:
>> Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly
>> guesswork,
>> please do not consider the above recommendations as the only possible
>> solutions.
>>

> I agree with the disclaimer. A steering problem that developed suddenly
> should be looked at by a professional if you are not qualified. You
> could have a steering link or idler arm coming loose. It probably is a
> tire, but you can't take that chance. A tire bad enough to cause that
> wobble could be observed as the car was driven slowly and watched from
> a slight distance.

ah, but no sense in paying $75 to be told you have loose lug nuts on the
one wheel, which could cause the problem. Maybe someone was trying to
steal the OP's wheels. No one is suggesting he overhaul the steering
rack himself, but to make sure the tire pressure is ok, the wheels are
on tight, and there's no obvious wheel or tire issues before having it
towed to a shop.

Ray