Old June 8th 05, 04:59 PM
y_p_w

TeGGeR® wrote:

> Abeness > wrote in news >
>
>>What size socket do I need for the plugs on a 94 Civic EX (D16Z6 engine)?

5/8" I think. That's what I've been using to install NGK and Denso
plugs over the years. I'd also recommend a "locking extension". It's
almost essential for installing a plug. It locks onto the socket
with a little quick release switch. You can then pull it out and
the socket comes out easy. Without one, I was struggling to get the
socket out once the plug was tightened since the rubber boot on the
plug socket held on the the plug. You might also want to use a torque
wrench.

<http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00943355000>

"3 pc., quick-release, 3/8 in. drive extension bar set. Great for
Spark Plug replacement. Includes 3, 6 and 10 in. quick-release bars."

The 6" length is ideal for spark plug tubes. You don't have to get
the 3-pc set, but the single 6" picture seemed to be incorrect.

>>Also, I notice that the service manual notes two different plugs, one
>>the NGK ZFR5J-11 for "normal" driving, the other the NGK ZFR6J-11 for
>>"hot climates or continuous high-speed driving". My car is used mostly
>>for trips, not a lot of local driving. Does primary driving at highway
>>speeds warrant the 6J plug?

> If you're spending much of your time at or near 4,000 rpm, you'll need the
> colder (6) plugs. Otherwise the insulator will overheat and blister.
>
> Pull the plugs that are in the car now. If the insulators have some color
> to them (doesn't matter what color as that's a function of your gas), then
> you're fine. If they are bright white with tiny bubbles on them, move up a
> range.
>

>>Is another brand recommended? I just discovered sparkplugs.com--pretty
>>cool. Anyone bought from them? A listing of plugs for my engine:
>>http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1168747
>>None of these manufacturers means anything to me. It's unlikely that I
>>need "premium" plugs--not a racer--but if the Champion Premium Gold plug
>>is any better than the NGK OEM spec, the price is certainly right.

"Premium" plugs might be useful if you intend on leaving them in
longer. They're especially useful in V6 engines where it's a PITA
to remove. As the standard plugs are cheap, you might be better
off just using standard plugs and changing them every 15K miles.
Your owner's manual probably says every 30K miles or two years.
The right spark plugs are so easy to find that it wouldn't be worth
it to mail order them unless you can get a steep discount on pricey
platinum or iridium plugs. The right plugs for your car are about
$1.50 to $2.50 each. It wouldn't be worth the shipping costs to
save on those.

> There are anecdotal reports of poor operation with anything other than NGK
> or ND plugs, the OEM spec.

Just to clarify - ND stands for Nippondenso. As a "rebranding" strategy
they were renamed just Denso in the late 90's. Their part numbers are
exactly the same as before.

If you're in the US, AutoZone carries Denso. The following says the
KJ16CR-L11 plug works in your car.

http://www.densoaftermarket.com/onli...& model=CIVIC