Old November 30th 04, 02:53 AM
Dan Drake

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:29:11 -0500, Fred W
> wrote:

>> My irritation stems
>> from those who are in awe of it and who would coddle it like it was a
>> rare and valuable car.

>Hmmm. Let's see... 20,500 made (worldwide) over a period of 7 years
>with a list of about $70k. Yeah I think that qualifies as rare and
>valuable.

I disagree. E39 M5s can be had for about half their original sticker
price, even well maintained and low mileage ones. Their price
continues to fall, and I suspect that they will eventually join the
ranks of things like the 750s and 850s, when maintenance cost
outweighs "value," however you measure it. That does not preclude you
or me from taking advantage of the window of time where reliability
and value are balanced, and makes sense. Just don't get starry-eyed
about it. Other mainstream performance cars hold their values better,
the NSX is a good example.

>>>You sound
>>>perhaps like someone who has not spent much time driving in real winter
>>>conditions.

>> I think that Switzerland and Scandinavia have "real winter
>> conditions," don't you?
>>

>Yep, sure does. But how much road salt do they use in those countries?
> That is what really causes all the anxiety of driving a fine car in
>the US winters.

Pay attention. The point was about drivability, not corrosion. If
you're worried about your "fine" car corroding, then you're in for
some major disappointments in your motoring life.

>>>Also, where is it written that one must make their best car their daily
>>>driver?

>> That's a specious argument. Where is it written that one *mustn't* do
>> that? Where is it written that life should be fair? &c., &c.
>>

>I'm not sure what you mean by that. I did not say that one mustn't
>drive it in the winter. Only that the needn't.

Fair enough. I choose to drive my cars without too much regard for
their well-being. I draw the line at driving, for example, a Caterham
Seven in the snow and ice because I get too frickin' cold doing it,
not because I don't want to get snow and ice on it. YMMV, &c., as
always.
--
Dan Drake