Old May 11th 05, 07:13 PM

On 10 May 2005 01:32:50 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
> wrote:

>Consumer Reports said that the Toyota Echo had good ride quality but
>that the Scion Xa, based on the same chassis, rode rough. I test drove
>both on the freeway and found this to be true.
>
>I don't need an absolutely smooth ride, but the Scion seemed like it
>would be awful on a long trip. Is Toyota going to change the ride
>quality, or can I improve it with different struts & shocks (if so,
>which?)?
>
>The reason I don't want the Echo is because it's not available as a
>hatchback in the U.S.

I just bought a new xa 3 days ago and find the ride just the way I
like it: firm. I live in Minnesota where there are a lot of cracks
and bumps in the roads. I've ordered some 16" alloys and Kumho tires
and a rear sway bar to tighten up the handling. I'll put winter tires
on the stock steel rims. BTW I'm 54; not quite the demographic Toyota
had in mind....
I've read on a Scion user group that the supension loosens up after a
few hundred miles, so your test rides might not indicate how the car
would ultimately feel to you. See if you could test drive a used one.