Old June 5th 05, 12:48 AM
The Real Bev

Nate Nagel wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> > "Scott en Aztlán" wrote:
> >
> >>Walking back from lunch today I saw a white sedan in the dedicated
> >>left turn lane pull a common bonehead maneuver: once he was solidly
> >>embedded in the left turn lane, with several vehicles behind him, he
> >>suddenly realized he needed to turn RIGHT instead of left. So this
> >>MFFY **** comes to a complete stop, waiting for the heavy traffic in
> >>the through lanes to let him in. Meanwhile, he is blocking the left
> >>turn lane, forcing the vehicles behind hi to miss the green arrow.
> >>Apparently the white pickup truck behind this prick had a PA system
> >>installed, because I heard an amplified voice suddenly start to call
> >>out "C'mon! Move it!!" HILARIOUS!!
> >>
> >>So what does Mr. MFFY do? He gets out of his car and walks back to
> >>"chat" with the guy in the pickup truck! Now I gotta tell ya, that
> >>takes a LOT of gall! To get all uppity when someone calls you out on
> >>the carpet for your own brain damaged move is an order of magnitude
> >>beyond MFFY...
> >>
> >>I waiting a few moments for the brawl to begin, but after a few
> >>moments the MFFY got back into his car and pulled forward to the stop
> >>line.

> > The MFFY did exactly the right thing -- trained the guy with the bullhorn not
> > to use it. That's why I don't honk at old farts stopped in front of me --
> > instead of hurrying up to get out of the way they just panic and jam on the
> > brakes.

> If they're already stopped what would jamming on the brakes do, I say.

Make them stop longer than they would have if you'd just bit the bullet and
done the silent scream thing.

> Personally I would have honked at him myself and I would hope that
> others would do the same. Again, doing nothing is the same as telling
> these people that it's OK to drive around like Mr. Magoo.

In theory you're right; if we can't actually push them off the road we should
at least try to make them as miserable as possible. My experience, however,
indicates that honking almost never achieves the intended purpose.

Anybody know of something (other than an irate two-year-old) that will
transmit an ear- and window-piercing tone as a substitute for a horn? I'd buy
one if it were cheap enough.

--
Cheers,
Bev